Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cheater's Never Prosper...Right?

UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, A, B, A, B

Many are familiar with that directional letter sequence. It is the code of the classic old school gamer. It is the secret handshake of the remnants of a foundational gaming age gone by (please, someone post if you have beaten Contra without the infinite life boost). There are fond memories from my childhood with myself discovering a cheat and passing it along like currency to other youngsters.

Today is different. Today there are those who would challenge the morality of such "cheats." Listen to this:

"Most serious video and computer gamers spend many hours trying to learn the tips, tricks and cheats in order to win their video games. What in essence they are trying to do is manipulate the computer system in order to win or score more points in the videogame.
This is unfortunate because perhaps we are teaching our children our teenagers that cheating is acceptable. Cheating in the real world is not acceptable and therefore we should not teach them how to do it in a make-believe virtual-reality world.
The video games should be in fact penalized for cheating and therefore along the way the teenagers who plays video games will learn that cheating is not good. We have too many teenagers cheating on their tests and research papers in school."
-Lance (not to be confused with Carl) Winslow- expert author @ www.WorldThinkTank.net

Cmon, PC Police, perhaps this is taking it a bit far!!!

After my Street Fighter 2 victory, my brother was prone to destructive violent outbursts. Screaming "unfair," he would challenge my hundred hand slap without variation.

Fast forward to the NOW. In my opponent's box, if I see a sniper's scope focused on my Master Chief I will juke and dance like a madman. If my opponent doesnt do the same - HE IS A DOPE.

I am a law abiding citizen. I am a product of a cheating revolution.

In the real world, we play by their rules. In a game- ANYTHING GOES as far as Im concerned.v

Just a warning.

No comments: